Saturday, August 29, 2009

Tami's Granola



I've adapted this recipe from one that my friend Cheryl gave me. This is how my family likes it, but you can play with it. You can add milled flax seed, wheat germ, sesame seeds, etc to the dry ingredients. I have played with the amount of oil and honey. I sometimes use as little as 1/2 c. of oil and 3/4 c. honey. It's up to you! This make about 1.5 plastic cereal containers full.

Combine the following in a large bowl:
10 c. oats (I like rolled, but you can use quick as well)
1 c. sunflower seeds (raw, unsalted is best)
1 1/2 c. nuts, chopped (I use a mixture of walnuts and sliced almonds, but you can use anything)
2 c. coconut (unsweetened, but I've used sweetened as well)
I sometimes add milled flax seed or wheat germ

Heat the following in a pan until hot, not boiling:
3/4 c. oil
1 c. honey
2/3 c. water
2 t. vanilla

Stir in 2/3 of this at a time into the dry ingredients and stir. Put on 3-4 cookie sheets. Bake at 200 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Stir halfway through. Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment